Salford (first recorded in 1169 as Saufird in Great Rolls of the Pipe) was little more than a village on the banks of the River Irwell.
The northern and western elements of the site are surrounded by roads, some of them major. The development offers the opportunity to create a genuine place of sanctuary away from the traffic.
The immediate area around Albion Court has little greenery, the site could allow for a brief interlude – for the residents and local wildlife.
Creating a thriving community will be a key aim of the landscape at Salford, offering places for people to meet, exercise, work, eat and relax outside.
The landscape response will be inspired by both the history and pride of this changing area.